Nominated for: BEST Cocktail Bar
The story of The Cannery covers over 80 years of American History. It began in 1921 when the first commercial fish cannery was built along the Rhine channel between 30th Street and Lido Park Drive. This part of the harbor was (and still is) the hub of commercial fishing boat activities in Newport Beach. In 1934 Western Canners Company was founded to take over the plant and it remains at the same location today. The canning operation was then done by hand at the rate of 400 cases of fish a day. Better machinery and enlarged facilities later increased it to 5,000 cases per day.